Labels

dinner (11) bread (10) dessert (7) quick and easy (7) cookies (6) pasta (6) muffins (5) snacky (5) Paleo (3) Pie (3) chocolate (3) lemon (3) basics (2) breakfast (2) shrimp (2) soup (2) Pizza (1) apple (1) beverages (1) cake (1) dressings/sauces (1) nuts (1) prep (1) pumpkin (1) side dish (1)

Friday, July 1, 2011

Honey Roasted Almonds


After a long absence, I'm happy to report that I'm back on the east coast, back with my family, and back in the kitchen! Although, today's recipe comes from the Montana kitchen, not this one. This was a recipe I'd been meaning to make for weeks before I actually did, but it ended up being a perfect road trip snack! It was also super easy to make, even in the craziness of our last-minute packing the day before we left.




The nuts are first toasted in the oven on an ungreased baking sheet


Meanwhile you can prepare the sugar/salt coating


...and the water/oil/honey mixture for the stove (don't turn it on until the nuts are done in the oven)


Then you heat the nuts in the honey mixture until the liquid is absorbed...


And coat the nuts in the salt/sugar!

(As a side note, I really should have doubled the coating mixture for these. They stayed a little bit sticky and not quite like what you're used to from store-bought ones. They were perfectly edible as-is, but I corrected the recipe below)


It really is that easy, other than letting them cool before you eat them!


I packaged mine up in some containers to bring on the road, and they kept fine, even in the hot car, for the whole week. I can't say I'm very sure how long it would take for them to spoil, but I doubt you'll have that problem!

Honey Roasted Almonds
Source long-lost

2 cups whole almonds, skins on

1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp water
2 tsp vegetable oil (in retrospect, I'm almost positive that I may have done 2 tbsp...oops)
  • Spread the almonds in a single layer in a shallow ungreased baking pan and place in a cold oven. 
  • Set oven at 350 F. 
  • Meanwhile, mix the sugar and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
  • In a medium pot, stir together the honey, water and oil
  • Once the oven beeps (or whatever yours does to tell you it's preheated), cook for roughly 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. If you cut/bite into a nut, it should be a slightly darker color than a raw nut.
  • Remove from oven and set aside.
  • Bring honey mixture to a boil over medium heat. 
  • Stir in the roasted almonds and continue to cook and stir until all the liquid has been absorbed by the nuts (about 5 minutes). 
  • Immediately transfer to the bowl of sugar/salt, and mix to coat evenly. 
  • Spread on wax paper and cool.

2 comments:

  1. oh my yum yum yum and mom loves this kind of thing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Almonds. I am going to have to try this. I am pinning it now so I don't forget.

    ReplyDelete

Followers