Labels

dinner (11) bread (10) dessert (7) quick and easy (7) cookies (6) pasta (6) muffins (5) snacky (5) Paleo (3) Pie (3) chocolate (3) lemon (3) basics (2) breakfast (2) shrimp (2) soup (2) Pizza (1) apple (1) beverages (1) cake (1) dressings/sauces (1) nuts (1) prep (1) pumpkin (1) side dish (1)

Monday, June 6, 2011

Pancakes and Waffles


My extensive research has shown that most people believe pancakes and waffles are for special occasions only. My goal is to prove you all wrong!

I guess I should start with a disclaimer. I used to be one of those people who only made pancakes and waffles on special occasions or especially relaxing weekends. Then I married a man with the fastest metabolism I've ever encountered...and he also forgets to eat. And he doesn't like food. But he likes waffles! So I make them almost every morning, because it's my best chance at cramming a full breakfast into him before he has a chance to forget to eat. I've learned how to make it a daily affair without cramping my routine!


Step one: Homemade waffle mix. I have the recipe memorized by now, but I still like to make up a bunch of dry mix at once and store it in an old peanut butter jar so it's quick and easy to reach for in the morning.


About 1/3 cup of the dry mix is enough to make one large round waffle.

So today I'm going to share two recipes with you: the waffle mix I use for my husband, and the pancake mix I use for me! Either recipe can be used to make pancakes or waffles, we just happen to each have different preferences.

Husband Waffles
Makes 3 large round waffles

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 egg
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 milk (or however much it takes to raise the total volume of liquid to 1 1/4 cups)

Mix wet and dry ingredients separately, then mix together until just combined.
Cook according to the directions on your waffle iron. They're done when the steam subsides significantly.

If you're like me and want to make one waffle a day, mix together the wet ingredients then just use about 1/3 of it for the waffle you're about to make, and save the rest in a small container in the fridge. The next 2 days it will be all ready for you and your waffle-making can be even more efficient!

Wife Pancakes
Makes 8 medium-sized pancakes

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup quick oats (not instant)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla
3 tbsp chocolate chips
1 cup liquid-- as above, this can include egg and oil. I actually go all-milk most of the time, since I'm not a fan when they get too eggy, and I often skip the oil just because I like to pretend that I'm healthy on occasion.

I admit, I'm an over-mixer. I just dump everything together and stir like crazy. And usually things turn out just fine.
The key to pancakes is medium-low heat, especially with oatmeal since they tend to be thicker.
They're ready to flip when you can see bubbles in the batter.

My husband actually sits down to eat his waffles, but I don't do condiments so I usually eat my pancakes like cookies and carry them around with me to eat while I get ready for the day. No added hassle at all! And since low heat means they take a while to cook, I can totally go do my makeup or get dressed in between flippings!

1 comment:

  1. i like the his and hers versions :)
    now if i could come up with a paleo version....

    ReplyDelete

Followers