Labels

dinner (11) bread (10) dessert (7) quick and easy (7) cookies (6) pasta (6) muffins (5) snacky (5) Paleo (3) Pie (3) chocolate (3) lemon (3) basics (2) breakfast (2) shrimp (2) soup (2) Pizza (1) apple (1) beverages (1) cake (1) dressings/sauces (1) nuts (1) prep (1) pumpkin (1) side dish (1)

Friday, April 22, 2011

Cakey Brownies


These brownies are my go-to recipe when I have dessert emergencies. As in, when I hunt through the cupboards for twenty minutes knowing there's nothing I feel like eating and finally decide I need to make something ASAP. Or when people show up. Or if it's Friday.


The cooking time is longer than I'd like, but the prep is quick enough to still win my heart! And I'm a huge fan of the short ingredient list. 


Here we are creaming butter and sugar, and I can't remember for the life of me if the eggs are in that bowl or not. Apologies. They might be sitting behind the bowl.


Here's my ugly counter top and horribly-lit brownie batter all ready to go into the oven. Don't worry about those little flecks of cocoa powder that aren't quite mixed in. Life doesn't always have to be perfect.


And here they are! (On my pretty counter, I might add)

Cakey Brownies
Recipe from my Mom

Time: 10 minutes hands-on, 30 in the oven
Yield: 9x9 inch square pan

1 stick butter, somewhere between softened and melted
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cups all-purpose flour (I often get away with whole wheat in these though)
1/2 cup chocolate chips (or a whole bag. whatever floats your boat)

Preheat the oven to 350 F.
These brownies are the ultimate in flexibility. I don't pay attention to the usual warnings not to over-mix, nor do I add the ingredients in any particular order. Just throw them in a bowl and mix like mad with your favorite spoon then throw them in the oven (in an oven-proof dish, not your mixing bowl, please) for about 30 minutes. My oven is lame and needs almost 40, but you'll probably only need 30.
Wait 5 or 10 minutes and let them cool if you plan on cutting squares. If you're using a spoon, you can skip this step.

4 comments:

  1. i was getting worried that you weren't going to mention mom! haha but i see you did in the printed recipe :) i would like to add for anyone not in our family that if you make these your children will grow up to be brownie snobs like us and never like box brownies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is true! Thankfully these don't take a whole lot of effort, so you won't miss the boxes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love brownies and your recipe sounds and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love little melted chunks of chocolate chips inside of brownies. :) Brownies are probably my favorite thing to bake. I once heard that the hue of brownies actually causes a chemical reaction in your body that makes you happy (I'm going to need to google this now) and of course, I've heard that eating chocolate makes you happy too. One thing I know for sure, the smell of brownies baking makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete

Followers