When these came out of the oven, I ate eight of them.
Then I put the rest in a big rubbermaid container for my husband to guard with his life.
Then a friend came over and ate eight.
Then my husband actually ate a few (SCORE!).
Then they were gone.
And that's all I'm going to say about these cookies.
Lemon Sugar Cookies
Adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod
I think this made 28 cookies, but I can't quite remember.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Zest of one lemon
3/4 cups sugar
1 stick butter
1/4 tsp vanilla extract (I doubled this)
1 tbsp lemon juice
extra sugar for rolling the cookies in
- Preheat the oven to 350 (unless you want to chill your dough first)
- Use an electric mixer to beat the butter and sugar together
- Dump in the egg, zest, juice, and vanilla
- Mix the salt, baking soda and powder into the flour, then add the flour to the sugar mixture a little at a time, beating in between additions
- I find the dough is easier to form into smooth balls if you chill it first. If you're in a rush, go ahead and form small balls, rolling them in granulated sugar before placing them on the cookie sheet
- Bake for about 10 minutes, until just barely beginning to brown. You want them to be soft and cakey on the inside
- Practice restraint and try to eat only one or two. Not eight.