I love soup!
This past fall I made my first soup ever, and I'm in love-- especially with butternut squash soup, which I'd never even tried until I made my own! So here's a simple recipe for when you too need some cold-weather comfort.
Yield: 3-4 servings
Time: 25 minutes/45 minutes simmering/5 minutes finishing
- Chop 1/4 onion
- Chop 1/2 large butternut squash
- Cook the onions in some olive oil and a heavy dash of ground thyme
- When the onions are just beginning to brown, add about 3 cups of chicken broth and all of the squash
- Bring to a boil, then cover and let simmer until the squash is very soft
- Run it all through a blender (do it in small batches; hot liquids seem to expand while blending and overflow WAY too easily)
- Serve or store away for later
That's it! If you keep large amounts of bread dough in the refrigerator all winter long like I did, grab a chunk and bake a nice chewy roll to enjoy with your soup. Mmm...