Labels

dinner (11) bread (10) dessert (7) quick and easy (7) cookies (6) pasta (6) muffins (5) snacky (5) Paleo (3) Pie (3) chocolate (3) lemon (3) basics (2) breakfast (2) shrimp (2) soup (2) Pizza (1) apple (1) beverages (1) cake (1) dressings/sauces (1) nuts (1) prep (1) pumpkin (1) side dish (1)

Friday, February 11, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup


I love soup!

This past fall I made my first soup ever, and I'm in love-- especially with butternut squash soup, which I'd never even tried until I made my own! So here's a simple recipe for when you too need some cold-weather comfort.



Yield: 3-4 servings
Time: 25 minutes/45 minutes simmering/5 minutes finishing
  1. Chop 1/4 onion
  2. Chop 1/2 large butternut squash
  3. Cook the onions in some olive oil and a heavy dash of ground thyme
  4. When the onions are just beginning to brown, add about 3 cups of chicken broth and all of the squash
  5. Bring to a boil, then cover and let simmer until the squash is very soft
  6. Run it all through a blender (do it in small batches; hot liquids seem to expand while blending and overflow WAY too easily)
  7. Serve or store away for later
That's it! If you keep large amounts of bread dough in the refrigerator all winter long like I did, grab a chunk and bake a nice chewy roll to enjoy with your soup. Mmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers