Friday, February 11, 2011
Cinnamon Swirl Bread (A Condensed Version)
If you saw the rather rambling post about my favorite bread in the world and didn't think it looked worth reading, rejoice! Today I'm sharing the condensed version.
First, here's the basic recipe:
Yield: two standard bread pan loaves without cinnamon filling OR three cinnamon swirl loaves OR 6 mini cinnamon swirl loaves.
Time: 20 minutes mixing // 2 hours waiting // 2 more hours waiting // 2 more hours
waiting // 15 minutes filling // 1 hour waiting // 1 hour baking // 1 hour cooling = about 8
1. Mix dry ingredients in a really big bowl.
· 4 cups Whole Wheat flour
· 3 cups Unbleached All-purpose flour
· 1 1/2 tablespoons Instant/Bread Machine Yeast
· 1 tablespoon Kosher Salt
· 1/4 cup Vital Wheat Gluten
2. Mix wet ingredients in a medium bowl (should hold at least 6 cups)
· 2 1/4 cups Lukewarm Water
· 3/4 cup Melted Butter or Oil
· 3/4 cup Honey
· 5 Large Eggs
3. Mix together with a big fork at first, with a wooden spoon once it’s stiff. (dough will
4. cover until it rises and collapses, about 2 hours
5. refrigerate for at least 2 hours
6. When ready to use, let warm to room temp for about 2 hours
7. Roll out dough and fill with cinnamon filling
· ½ cup sugar with 2 tsp cinnamon PER LOAF
8. Roll up the dough and put in greased pan
9. Let rise for an hour—preheat oven to 350o F (175 o C)
10. Beat an egg, 1 tbsp water, and a dash of salt to brush over the loaf
11. Bake for 20 minutes then cover with foil
12. Bake for another 40 minutes
13. Cool completely on a wire rack before slicing
The great news about this is that you'll probably only make one of the two loaves at a time, leaving you with dough ready for another loaf in a couple of days! The picture above shows first a regular-sized loaf (made with half of the dough from this recipe) and the second picture is one of three mini-loaves made with the remaining dough.