For some reason it's taken me 7 years to try making them myself.
I didn't get too picky looking for a Cuban recipe or anything, I just took the first recipe I came across. It tastes absolutely nothing like my first experience with them, but still really, really good.
I take pride in my food. Even if it's hardly worthy. Dear food, I love you!
And that's it! We had these for lunch, but I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be an appetizer or something. Or we could make oversized ones and eat them for dinner! With a vegetable of course.
Time: 10 minutes for dough // 15 minutes for filling // 20 minutes baking // TOTAL: 45 minutes
2 cups All-purpose Flour
1/3 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 cup Vegetable Shortening
3/4 cup Milk, warmed slightly
1 egg, beaten (for brushing the dough)
1 pound Ground Beef
salt, pepper, and/or seasoning salt
1 can Tex-Mex style Canned Diced Tomatoes
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Start browning the ground beef with your desired amounts of salt and pepper. When it's just about done, dump in the can of tomatoes and let it simmer while you make the dough
- In a food processor, combine the dry ingredients (including cheese) for the dough
- Add the shortening and pulse until crumbly
- Slowly poor in the warm milk and pulse to combine
- Dump onto the counter form a smooth ball, adding enough flour to keep it from being sticky.
- Divide the dough into four balls and work with one at a time, keeping the others covered so they don't dry out
- Roll out the dough to about 1/8 inch thick and cut circles that are about 3 inches in diameter
- Cut circles from all of the dough, re-rolling the scraps to get as many as possible
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Add enough meat filling to cover half of the circle of dough, leaving a good 1/4 or 1/2 inch around the edge to seal
- Top with a small amount of shredded cheese
- Fold the top half over the filling and use a fork to press closed
- Arrange on a couple of baking sheets and brush with egg wash
- Bake for 18-20 minutes (they will puff slightly and be nice a golden)