Labels

dinner (11) bread (10) dessert (7) quick and easy (7) cookies (6) pasta (6) muffins (5) snacky (5) Paleo (3) Pie (3) chocolate (3) lemon (3) basics (2) breakfast (2) shrimp (2) soup (2) Pizza (1) apple (1) beverages (1) cake (1) dressings/sauces (1) nuts (1) prep (1) pumpkin (1) side dish (1)

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Final Banana Bread Recipe


A few weeks ago I made a couple of batches of banana bread, attempting to improve it but ultimately deciding that the first recipe had been the best. You can recap that experiment here. Still convinced that I could improve the recipe, I made another batch with a couple of changes, and LOVED IT TO PIECES. So this morning I attempted to recreate the amazing version so I could share that recipe with confidence.



Problem: it didn't turn out the same. This batch (like my second batch in the original experiment) was dry. Taste-wise it was a winner, but the batter was too thick and the finished bread too dry. I wish I had an explanation, but all I can say is that (for the hundredth time) I seriously need to start weighing my ingredients!


From the original recipe, my first change was to roast the bananas. This is supposed to make the flavor more intense. I think adding a third banana would have been just perfect (and would have helped with the dryness) but alas, I only used two.

Other changes are reflected below. The original recipe can be seen here.

Recipe: Banana Bread
2 or 3 Ripe Bananas, well mashed
1/4 cup Applesauce
1/4 cup Canola Oil
1/2 cup Sugar
1 tbsp Molasses
1 egg

1 1/3 cups All-Purpose Flour
2/3 cup Whole Wheat Flour
3/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
  1. Roast the bananas at 350 for 15 or 30 minutes, depending on how ripe the bananas started.
  2. Meanwhile, mix together the wet ingredients (with the sugar), and separately sift together the dry ones
  3. Mash the bananas and add them to to the wet mixture
  4. In a mixing bowl, carefully combine the wet and dry ingredients without over-mixing. I've found that it helps to layer wet and dry so it requires less stirring to evenly moisten everything
  5. If the batter looks too dry, you can dry dumping in more applesauce or oil or another egg, but be careful doing it, because the extra mixing could cause the bread to end up tough. Some days you just have to pick your battles.
  6. Dump the batter into a bread pan and bake for 45-55 minutes at 350.
  7. Let cool for a few minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool the rest of the way

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers